Wood coatingsSP Trä initiates and performs research and testing within the area of surface coatings technology.
The aim is to develop scientifically based knowledge about materials and to create competitiveness within the areas together with universities, other research institutes and the industry.
- The boundary layer problem wood-coating and wood-glue
- The accessibility of the wood material for property-improving agents
- Relevant evaluation methods for the durability of wood and wood materials
- Surface treatment-, gluing- and property-improved systems for ecofriendly products, for both interior and exterior applications
- Application of new materials-scientific methodology in the field of wood
SP Trä offers highly qualified competences within all the mentioned areas. We work together with international organisations such as CEN and universities. For more than 30 years we have had a successful cooperation focusing on research and development together with the wood industry as well as the coatings industry.
Since moisture and water are determining factors for the durability of wood, this is the area that we focus on. We are in an internationally leading position regarding moisture related matters within surface treatment of wood. We are the leaders within moisture measurements according to EN 927-5 and have the experience and competence for testing durability of coatings for exterior usage according to EN 927-3. An SP Trä standard has been turned into a European standard for determination of knot and tannin staining, EN 927-7.