Medical device technologyDevelopment of medical devices requires interdisciplinary solutions as well as detailed work within several technical areas. Within the Medical Device Technology group we have collected SP’s core competence and activities regarding medical devices. The employees have, besides their specialist skills, knowledge in the regulatory requirements regarding medical devices. We are specialized in connecting companies to personnel at SP and to our external network of subcontractors.
Our technical competences are mainly within chemistry and materials, for example:
- Material characterization (composition, microstructure, mechanical properties)
- Surface properties (surface analysis, surface modification, cleaning processes)
- Imaging mass spectrometry of biological surfaces (sensors, cells, tissues)
- Cytotoxicity testing according to ISO 10993-5:2009 in a GLP compliant and IEC/ISO 17025 accredited cell culture laboratory
- Biological evaluation of materials, regulatory issues, design and execution of biocompatibility studies
- Leaching studies of ceramic, metallic or polymeric materials and analysis of leached products
- Combined mechanical and chemical studies
Our activities cover research, development of products and testing methods as well as independent technical investigations. We deal with everything from questions regarding a specific product to coordinating large scale research projects involving both academic and industrial partners. We are involved in several European framework projects.
Please contact us if you have further questions regarding our services. We have long experience from setting up new types of product tests and working within industrial R&D projects. We also have resources to aid SMEs with applications and strategies for funding.