Static electricity and electrostatic discharge (ESD)We have all experienced the effect of static electricity through electric shocks when we touch a door handle or get out of a car. In the vast majority of cases static electricity is just an issue of comfort which causes distress to the person affected. But in some cases, static electricity can cause financial loss and occasionally even pose a direct risk to personal safety.
Static electricity can damage electrical and electronic products. The risk of damage to electronics is particularly high during manufacture and servicing of electronic components. Therefore ESD damage must be prevented by taking a number of protective measures during production.
Static electricity can even present life-threatening danger in some surroundings. It can be devastating if someone receives a shock from static electricity while working with easily ignited gases. Mixtures of dust and air can also be ignited by static discharges. To prevent ignition and explosions in such environments, the risk of static discharge must be recognised and prevented in order to avoid serious accidents.
RISE has many years of experience in static electricity and can offer the following services, among others:
• ESD training for ESD coordinators and those responsible for quality assurance.
• Basic ESD training for production and service staff.
• Refresher courses on ESD.
• Measurement and evaluation of ESD risks and protection in different areas.
• Checks, for example in premises used for manufacture of electronics.
• Incident analysis.
• Help during construction and verification, for example when choosing materials for a machine.
• Advice concerning personal comfort, for example when choosing flooring.
• Tests of ESD control products according to IEC61340-5-1.
• Tests of floor materials according to EN 1081, EN 1815, ISO 10965, ISO 6356 and ASTM F 150.
• Tests of materials for Ex-classified areas with reference to brush discharges and propagating brush discharges.
• Evaluation and advance testing of materials with reference to their electrostatic properties.
• Verification of properties after installation, such as flooring materials.
List of ESD-related standards
|Protection of electronic devices from electrostatic phenomena –
|Resilient floor coverings - Determination of the electrical resistance
|Resilient and textile floor coverings - Assessment of static electrical propensity
|Textile floor coverings - Determination of electrical resistance
|Textile and laminate floor coverings - Assessment of static electrical propensity - Walking test
|Standard Test Method for Electrical Resistance of Conductive and Static Dissipative Resilient Flooring
||ASTM F 150|