Emission measurements of Construction Products and furnishingsPeople spend a lot of time in various indoor environments. It is important that construction products and other indoor products don’t emit dangerous substances into the (indoor) air.
Emission measurements show if a material emits substances into the (indoor) air. For example Byggvarudömningen, Svanen, Breeam and Leed requires emission measurements.
There are several different standardized methods for this that we can perform:
- EN 16516 Construction products – Assessment of release of dangerous substances - Determination of emissions into indoor air
ISO 16000-series, for example:
- ISO 16000-9 Indoor air - Part 9: Determination of the emission of volatile organic compounds from building products and furnishing — Emission test chamber method
- ISO 16000-10 Indoor air - Part 10: Determination of the emission of volatile organic compounds from building products and furnishing — Emission test test cell method
- ISO 16000-3 Indoor air Part 3: Determination of formaldehyde and other carbonyl compounds in indoor air and test chamber air – Active sampling method
- EN 717-1 Wood based panels – Determination of formaldehyde release – Part 1: Formaldehyde emission by chamber method
- ISO 12460-3 Wood based panels – Determination of formaldehyde release – Part 3: Gas analysis method
Japanese Industrial Standards and Agricultural
Standards, for example:
JIS A 1460 Building boards Determination of formaldehyde emission – Desiccator method
JIS A 1901 Determination of the emission of volatile organic compounds and aldehydes for building products – Small chamber method
JIS K 5601-4-1 Testing methods for paint components – Part 4: Analysis for components emitted from film – Section 1: Formaldehyde
SP is recognized by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) as a Third Party Certifier – TPC, for supervision and certification of formaldehyde emission from composite wood products (according to ATCM)
Emission test methods:
ASTM E1333 Standard Test Method for Determining Formaldehyde Concentrations in Air and Emission Rates from Wood Products Using a Large Chamber
ASTM D6007 Standard Test Method for Determining Formaldehyde Concentration in Air from Wood Products Using a Small Scale Chamber.
SP is approved by The Building Information Foundation RTS in Finland to test products according to the requirements of M1 Emission Classification of Building Material: Protocol for Chemical and Sensory testing of Building Materials.
We perform F****-testing and certification according to the Japanese legislation BSL (Building Standard Law) for formaldehyde emission from building products. We are approved by MLIT in Japan (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport).
Further test methods:
VdL-RL 03 Richtlinie zur Bestimmung der Formaldehydkonzentration in wasserverdünnbaren Dispersionsfarben und verwandten Produkten - Bestimmung der freien in-can Formaldehyd-konzentration mit der Acetylaceton-Methode)
EN ISO 14184-1 Textiles – Determination of formaldehyde – Part 1: Free and hydrolysed formaldehyde (water extraction method)
Sec 01350 Standard Method for the Testing and Evaluation of Volatile Organic Chemical Emissions from Indoor Sources using Environmental Chambers, version 1.1, 2010, by the California Department of Public Health
NAAF Malingskriterier, ver 3.0 2014 (Norwegian Astma- og Allergiforbundet)
ISO 11890-2 Paints and varnishes - Determination of volatile organic compound (VOC) content – Part 2 Gas-chromatographic method
US EPA Method 24
Volvo Car Corporation Standards, for example:
VCS 1027, 2749/STD 429-0003 – Determination of organic emissions from nonmetallic materials in vehicle interiors
VCS 1027, 2739/STD 429-0002 – Determination of formaldehyde emission from components in vehicle interiors